Sunday, February 7, 2010

An Inspirational Leader

Inspire (v.) to motivate, encourage

When I see the word inspire, those are indeed the words that come to mind. I have visions of great leaders like Barack Obama, Winston Churchill and Nelson Mandela and even the lady in Murehwa who is feeding 20 orphans on her own salary.

What does NOT come to mind is a birthday party for the 86 year old President of Zimbabwe. I have no idea who he has hired to write his press releases but whoever that is should be fired, I would say shot but the powers that be might just take it literally and I could be charged with something and spend the next couple of months languishing in a small town stokisi. So we will stick to being fired!

So anyway this bright spark Press Liaison wrote “Mugabe’s supporters say his birthday party should be an inspiration for Zimbabwe’s children, who must learn to copy the President...”

So let me try and see what lessons I as a child of Zimbabwe would get from this party;-

a) That it’s okay to spend obscene amounts of money on party while the people starve
b) That ….
c) …..

Okay I give up.

What I can tell you is this.

This party is not a celebration that is inspirational to anyone. This party is a slap in the face to the people of Zimbabwe and the suffering they have endured at the hand of the very person and government that are throwing this bash. I could go on but it’s all been said before.

And what are we supposed to learn from the President, if he could talk to me now, what qualities and traits would be encourage me to emulate? I remember as a kid I used to attend the 21st February Movement. It was an important occasion for me, an exciting time to meet the most influential person in my world. 22 years later the novelty has worn off, the music has stopped and I just want to go home. This can be said not just of the party but of the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment